Blue Buffalo Dog Food
When Bill and Jackie Bishop’s beloved large-breed Airedale, Blue, started having health problems, the couple took a serious interest in pet health issues. This led to them developing Blue Buffalo dog food, a natural brand that promotes a healthy oxidative balance, a strong immune system, and wholesome health in dogs. Blue Buffalo strives to uphold their motto, “Love them like family. Feed them like family.”
In the news: Purina suing Blue Buffalo over…..
Who manufactures Blue Buffalo?
Located in Wilton, Connecticut, the Blue Buffalo Company owns and produces Blue Buffalo dog food. However, they outsource their manufacturing to a number of different food production companies, including CJ Foods, Ainsworth, ProPet, Triple T Foods, Tuffy’s, and ANI/Vita-Line.
Disclosure: Please note that this post contains affiliate links, which will direct you to our partner sites. If you purchase the pet foods we recommend through those links, we may earn a small commission – at no extra cost to you.
Blue Buffalo Recalls 2017
Please Read First: If this statement is still here we are actively watching for new recalls. Below you will find a history of recalls. If you would like to know as SOON as we find out about a recalls visit:https://dogfood.guru/recalls and fill out our Recall Alert form. We will ONLY email this list in the event of an actual recall. Once we stop watching for Recalls I will remove this statement.
We also encourage everyone to bookmark the site for future reference.
Blue Buffalo Recall List: (From newest to oldest)
- In October 2010, researchers at the Michigan State University launched an investigation on why some dogs across the country got sick. They found the culprit to be the Blue Buffalo Company. They analyzed some samples of the sick dogs and found that they all had high levels of vitamin D in their blood. The breakthrough happened when the researchers found out that every dog tested was fed a diet of Blue Buffalo’s Wilderness Chicken Recipe. They investigated further and concluded that three batches of Blue Buffalo dog food contained potentially toxic levels of vitamin D: BLUE Wilderness Chicken, BLUE Basics Salmon, and BLUE Life Protection Large Breed Adult Chicken. The Blue Buffalo Company ended up recalling every bag containing those recipes with the best-by dates of 07/12/11 through 10/26/11.
- The first time was in 2007, when Blue Buffalo announced a recall for the Blue Buffalo Health Bars Baked With Apples & Yogurt Dog Treats (and some canned cat food) because they found out that an ingredient was mishandled prior to its arrival at the production facility.
Learn how we monitor recalls: https://dogfood.guru/monitor-dog-food-recalls/
Blue Buffalo Dog Food Coupons 2017
Blue Buffalo Reviews
A lot of dog owners seem to be pleased with Blue Buffalo dog food. On Reddit, a couple of pet store clerks reported that all of the customers who returned Blue Buffalo dog food did it because their dogs had allergy issues (with the grains and certain proteins in the food) or didn’t like the taste of it, never because they got sick from it.
Blue Buffalo Product Line:
- BLUE Buffalo Wilderness Dog Food
- BLUE Buffalo Life Protection Dog Food
- BLUE Buffalo Basics Dog Food
- BLUE Buffalo Freedom Dog Food
Real deboned meat is always the first ingredient, but that can raise some concerns because real meat loses most of its water and protein content after being cooked. However, after taking a look at some of the recipes this brand has to offer, we found the crude protein content to be sufficient. It’s usually because meat meal is usually the next ingredient. Meat meal provides 300% more protein than real meat does.
Blue Buffalo also takes pride in the fact that, in addition to meat, they put the following necessary nutrient classes in their dog food:
- Fats (to provide a good source of energy and to help your dog absorb fat-soluble vitamins)
- Carbohydrates (a rich source of energy and dietary fiber)
- Vitamins & minerals
All in all, we’d rate Blue Buffalo as a premium dog food brand.
How would you rate Blue Buffalo?:
Our BLUE Freedom Grain-Free Healthy Weight Chicken Recipe review:
Blue Buffalo has a product line called Freedom, which consists of grain-free formulas. Let’s take a look at the BLUE Freedom Grain-Free Healthy Weight Chicken Recipe.
The first five ingredients are deboned chicken, chicken meal, tapioca starch, potatoes, and peas. The chicken provides an ample source of protein. The tapioca starch, potatoes, and peas provide the carbs your dog needs. There are some questionable ingredients further down the list, including caramel and manganese sulfate. The crude protein content is pretty low, at 20%, and so is the crude fat content (8%).
While this formula has some questionable ingredients, it still contains LifeSource Bits, a blend of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants processed in a way to uphold their nutritional value.
All in all, this formula is high-quality, but if your dog needs more protein in his/her diet, you’d be better off feeding him/her something from the Wilderness product line.
Where can you buy Blue Buffalo?
Blue Buffalo dog food is available in a number of pet food stores across the nation. If you visit Blue Buffalo’s website, you’ll see a store locator under the navigation menu. Enter your zip code, and then the website will show you a list of the closest stores that carry Blue Buffalo dog food.