Woody’s Pet Food Deli Recall 1/28/19
The MDA issued a recall of Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey. After a man was tested positive for Salmonella in Minnesota, he revealed that Woody’s Pet Food was often fed in their home, and while their pet also tested positive for Salmonella, it was not the outbreak strain.
Symptoms of Salmonella include diarrhea, stomach pain, and fever. Symptoms usually start 12 to 96 hours after exposure, but they can begin up to two weeks later. “Infections usually resolve in five to seven days, but about 28 percent of laboratory-confirmed cases require hospitalization,” reports MDA.
After eating or coming into contact with Salmonella-contaminated food. Pets can spread the bacteria from their mouths, saliva, fur, and feces. If you’ve handled these products or suspect you or your pet has contracted Salmonella, you should contact a health care professional and the environment around the feeding station should be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected as Salmonella bacteria can survive for weeks in the household environment, which can serve as a continuing source of infection. Pets exposed to contaminated food can also be infected without showing symptoms.
The contaminated food was sold in 5-pound plastic containers labeled “Woody’s Pet Food Deli Raw Free Range Turkey.” The following three lots of product are being recalled:
- Use by date: 01/10/20
- Use by date: 01/12/20
- Use by date: 01/15/20
If you have a recalled product in your home, you should throw it out or return it to a Woody’s Pet Food Deli for a full refund. Consumers with questions can contact Woody’s Pet Food Deli stores directly at the following phone numbers:
- Minneapolis: 612-208-0335
- St. Paul: 651-493-7269
- Woodbury: 651-340-8678
Or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
According to the FDA, the risks of Salmonella in the young, elderly, and pregnant populations are the most severe,
“Children are the most likely to get salmonellosis. The rate of diagnosed infections in children less than five years old is higher than the rate in all other people. Children younger than five, the elderly, and those people with weakened immune systems are more likely to have severe infections. It is estimated that approximately 400 persons in the United States die each year with acute salmonellosis. Children, the elderly, pregnant women, and people with weakened immune systems…
Salmonella is a microorganism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting, and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.”
From what we could find, this is the first instance of Woody’s Pet Food being recalled.